First things first: wedding basicsYou've just gotten engaged and don't know where to start. You can connect with us, of course, but here are some wedding planning basics to get you started in planning your wedding on the spectrum of offbeatness.
- START HERE: Get organized with our Wedding Planning Spreadsheets & Checklist
- What to do first when you get engaged
- 4 things that nobody tells you about getting engaged
- How to get a marriage license
- Choosing your online wedding planning tools
- How to change your name after the wedding
- Rehearsal dinner planning tips
Wedding invitation advice and paperie wording tips
You've got paperwork on your list: invitations, save-the-dates, programs, wedding menus, and maybe even hashtags! Here's how we deal with invitation wording, timing, and drama-minimizing.
- Wedding invitation printing techniques primer
- When to send out your invitations and save-the-dates
- More advice on wedding cards and invitation timing
- Common mistakes when addressing your wedding invitations
- Do you need wedding programs?
- 9 best wedding website tips
- What should you put on your wedsite's FAQ?
- Do you need a seating chart?
- How to avoid drama when not including people on your guest list
- How to tell your family that your wedding will be adults-only
- Wedding invitation wording basics for the newly engaged
Wedding budget advice
Money woes getting you all stressed up with nowhere to go? We've been there. Let's talk about budgets of all sizes, how to save some cash, and how to score some deals.
- Sample wedding budgets for all kinds of offbeat weddings
- You don't need that much cake: catering advice from a wedding caterer
- Package deals, tax write-offs, and pants: How to save money on your wedding
- Liquor guess-timation: how to creatively calculate your wedding alcohol
- How to save money on wedding flowers
- Save some cash with these honeymoon planning tips
- Vendor discounts for our readers
Wedding schedule advice
Wedding timelines, greeting all your guests, planning for out-of-towners… how do you make it all come together? We've got tips and advice for your wedding day schedule.
- How to make a “less worry/more party” wedding day timeline
- How long should your reception last?
- How to kill the hours between ceremony and reception
- How to plan for out-of-town guests
- Your last-minute wedding checklist
- Tips for a wedding weekend or multi-day wedding
- Wedding schedule archives
- 7 questions to ask before picking the wedding date
How to plan your wedding ceremony
Unity ceremonies, aisle-walking drama, and does the wedding party sit or stand?! Have some fun with readings and music to make your ceremony totally you.
- Wedding Ceremony 101: Crafting your own wedding ceremonies from scratch
- So you want to have a friend officiate
- Ceremony Advice archives
- Ceremony script advice archives
- Vow examples archives
Wedding vendor advice
Wedding vendors can easily become allies and friends, but you have to choose them carefully. Here's advice about dealing with vendors and some insider advice from vendors themselves.
- How to find your wedding reception venue
- How to search for unique wedding venues
- Important questions to ask wedding venues
- 6 vital things you need to know when working with a wedding florist
- Important questions to ask your potential wedding photographer
- How to book a block of hotel rooms for your wedding guests
- How to spot and avoid the wedding vendors that are faking it to make it
- When is too soon to book a venue?
- 6 non-rules for tipping your wedding vendors
- Should you hire a wedding planner?
- Venue coordinator vs. a day-of coordinator: What's the dif!?
- How to deal with a venue-mandated coordinator
- A musician's guide to having live music at your wedding
- Bar talk: Licensing, insurance, and when to hire professional bartenders
- 5 tips to get better wedding photos
- 8 wedding photographer secrets for less sucky family portraits
- Insider advice that jewelry stores may not want you to know
Dress and fashion advice
Whether you'll be rocking a gown, a suit, or something in between, finding your wedding day outfit can be stressful. We've got some wedding fashion tips for all types of offbeat couples.
- How to buy an Etsy wedding dress
- Tips for buying eBay wedding dresses or accessories
- Everything you need to know about having your wedding dress custom-made
- The ultimate guide to plus-size wedding dress shopping
- 5 things you should know about tuxedo rental and fittings
- What to wear as a gender-bender (more here!)
- What to put in your “Oh-Shit!” Kit
- 14 wedding makeup tips
- 11 wedding hair tips
- How to ship a wedding dress by mail
Dealing with family and friends
You're probably not the only person invested in your wedding both emotionally and financially. Unless you're eloping, you'll probably have to deal with a little family drama. Oh wait, that happens with elopments, too. Doh! How can we deal with relationships during wedding planning?
- 7 ways to keep “Momthulhu” from hijacking your wedding plans
- The “Shit People Suggest” spreadsheet
- Should you have a wedding party?
- Herding cats: wedding rehearsal tips and advice
- Our favorite wedding welcome bag ideas
- 13 ways to make a reception more fun
- 10 delicious ways to make your wedding food fun
- 15 unconventional bachelorette party ideas
- How to plan an engagement party
- Essential wedding transportation tips for hauling everyone around
- Guest list primer: questions you must ask when making your guest list
Planning for wedding day weather
Insert obligatory Alanis Morissette rainy day wedding reference here. If you're having an outdoor wedding, these tips are especially important, but they apply to all weddings. Weather is a beast we all must face.
- How to keep dry during a rainy wedding day
- Furry, funky, and fun options that'll keep you warm on your winter wedding day
- How to beat the heat on your wedding day
Disabilities, chronic illnesses, and personality traits
As much as we may not want it to, life still happens around wedding planning. You may have to deal with grief, illness, and your own personality quirks that make things a little more challenging. But we've got tips to help you deal.
- How to plan a disability-friendly wedding
- Kick-ass wedding tips for chronically ill brides
- ADHD wedding planning: putting the FUN in executive dysfunction
- 4 secrets to wedding dress shopping when you have a panic disorder
- Juggling wedding planning and grief
Download our wedding planning spreadsheets and get organized!